Javascript is not activated in your browser. This website needs javascript activated to work properly.
You are here


Frequently Asked Questions

Can you send me an application form by mail or email?

No, you need to apply through You can also find more general information about admission requirements, English language tests etc. at the International admission pages on the Lund University website.

Do I need to take the TOEFL or IELTS tests to apply?

Yes, if your mother tongue is not English, and you haven't passed English B/6 in Swedish upper secondary school. For more information, see admission requirements.

I will complete my Bachelor's studies after 15 January, but before the programme starts in September. Can I apply?

Yes, you can apply with qualifications pending, in which case your admission will be conditional. You must present documentation, a degree certificate and final official transcript at the start of the programme at the latest.

Do I need a statement of purpose, recommendation letter or CV to apply?

You need to include a statement of purpose with your application. CVs or recommendation letters are not required. Send the documents to the University Admissions Office in Östersund, Sweden.

Are there any tuition fees?

EU/EEA students: There are no application or tuition fees for students who are citizens of the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland.

Non-EU/EEA students: Students who are citizens of countries outside the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland are generally required to pay application and tuition fees. Read more.

Can I apply for a scholarship through Lund University?

Lund University offers scholarships for high-performing students. You can apply for a scholarship when applying for a programme on You will find more information about Lund University scholarship opportunities here.

How do I apply for a Swedish residence permit?

You apply for a residence permit through the Swedish embassy (or consulate) in your home country. They will inform you of the application process. You can also read more about the process and requirements at the website of the Swedish Migration Board.

Please note that the application process is quite lengthy, especially during summer, so it is crucial that you start the process immediately after receiving your letter of admission, in order to arrive here on time. Read more about residence permit and permission to study in Sweden.

When does the programme start? On Arrival Day?

Arrival Day takes place in Lund two weeks before the start of the programme. We offer an orientation programme with leisure activites, information meetings and guided tours. When the actual programme starts it is essential that you arrive on time, otherwise you will fall behind your fellow students. Student arriving after the first week will not be admitted.

How can I find accommodation?

Lund University, as well as the City of Helsingborg, have offices helping students to find housing. Lund University Accommodation (LU Accommodation) helps admitted students find accommodation. You must apply online in order to register for housing through LU Accommodation.

Follow the status of your application online.

Please note that the number of rooms offered by the International Housing Office (IHO) is limited, so you must also look for alternative housing. More information about how to find accommodation other than IHO accommodation is available on the following websites:

Will I be studying in Lund or in Helsingborg?

The Master’s programme in Service Management is provided by the Department of Service Management and Service Studies, which is located at Campus Helsingborg. Helsingborg is a beautiful city by the sea in the middle of the dynamic Öresund region. The distance to Lund is about 60 kilometres.

Can I study in Helsingborg but live in Lund?

Yes, you can. It is only 30 minutes by train between Lund and Helsingborg. A monthly travel pass costs about SEK 800 for students. Most of our students live in Helsingborg, but there are also many who live in Lund or Malmö, and commute every day.

Am I allowed to work part time?

Yes, the residence permit allows you to work.

Do I have Insurance and Health care?

As a master student you are covered by insurances through Lund University. Here you can learn more about what applies to you. 

If you have a Swedish personal identity number you will only pay a small fee when going to the doctor (just like Swedish citizens do) so that makes life a bit easier. You can only apply for a personal identity number if you have a residence permit valid for 12 months or longer, and the application is to be made to your local tax office in Sweden. We will provide you with more information about this during the orientation week.

How do I get a student card?

You will receive your student card when you apply for a membership at Studentlund.

Please visit for more information.

How much will I need to study?

This will of course depend on your skills and ambitions. However, this is a full-time programme which means that you can expect a minimum of 40 hours per week.

What about my English language skills?

Passing a TOEFL or IELTS test is not in itself proof of having the proficiency in English required to successfully follow the programme. You will also need to have experience of independently reading books and articles, and writing academic texts in English.

Will any of the teaching be in Swedish?

No, the entire programme is taught in English.

Can I take Swedish language courses?

Yes, you will have the opportunity to take Swedish language courses during your stay here. You will receive more information about this during the orientation week.

What does a typical week look like?

There will be a few lectures (normally 1–3), you will have to independently read approximately 300 pages in English, and write a 5-page paper about your reading which will be discussed at a seminar.

How much help can I get?

Most students coming from outside of Europe will find that they will receive less help from teaching staff than they are used to. Studies at advanced levels require quite a lot of independent work.

Page Manager:

The Department of Service Management and Service Studies
Lund University | Campus Helsingborg
Visiting address: Universitetsplatsen 2 Helsingborg
Postal address: Box 882, 251 08 Helsingborg, Sweden
 +46 42-35 66 20
Email: info [at] ism [dot] lu [dot] se

Faculty of Social SciencesCampus Helsingborg